Sh85 billion revenue for KTDA farmers

A 21 percent increase in Greenleaf has gifted farmers with a 9.4 percent rise in revenues boosting the tea bonuses.

Read also: 

Kenya Tea Development Agency- Management Services (KTDA-MS) will offer farmers Sh85.74 billion in the year ended June 2018 from the sale of tea compared to Sh78.31 billion recorded in 2016/17 financial year.

Muranga County will carry the lion’s share at Sh10.8 billion although the figures are lower than last year’s Sh11.3 billion.

Bomet County farmers will receive a huge bonus with its three groups taking home Sh8.8 billion up from Sh6.9 billion in a similar period last year.

Meru County will get Sh6.6 billion down from Sh7.6 billion last year while Kericho will get Sh6.2 billion this year up from Sh5.1 billion.

Kirinyaga farmers will receive Sh6 billion up from Sh4.9 billion

TransNzoia will receive the lowest bonus at Sh229 million which was, however, Sh199 million in 2017.

KTDA-managed tea factories received a cumulative 1.18 billion kilograms of green leaf up from 976.78 million received during the same period in 2017.

During the year, tea farmers earned a total of Sh62.35 billion, 8.6 percent higher than the Sh57.44 billion paid out in the year to June 2017, translating to better average returns for the over 600,000 farmers.

The payout represents a return of 73 percent of the total tea revenue, while the remaining 27 percent went to cover various costs of production.

Oh hi there 👋
It’s nice to meet you.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox, every month.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.